Friday, March 30, 2012

HELP!!! Can not restore database from only back up I have

I had to transfer my database from one server to another. Both are running SQL 2000. I backed the database up and moved it to the new server however when I try to do a restore I get the following message:

The media set for database "xxx' has 2 family members but only 1 are provided. RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

I did some searching and found a couple of posts that mentioned something about the back up including 2 files.

My problem is that the machine I backed this up from crashed when it was shut down and would not reboot so all of the data and the original database do not exist. Is there any hope of restoring this database. It is pretty critical.

Thanks,

Melissa :-)

Do "restore filelistonly from <backup_device>" to see what is in the backup device. Also, please post the "restore" command here so we can see what's going on.|||When you say "My problem is that the machine I backed this up from crashed when it was shut down and would not reboot so all of the data and the original database do not exist" - can you pull the drive that contained the original databases out of the machine and add it to the new one? (I'm assuming from your description that the database is on a DAS drive rather than a SAN)|||

I wish. The administrator who was trying to get the machine to boot determined it was beyond help and reformatted the drive and installed a new operating system on it. So all is lost.

Melissa : -(

|||

Ok here is the results from the restore filelistonly we ran:

LiveStats.XSP

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data\LiveStats.XSP.mdf D PRIMARY 1188560896 35184372080640 LiveStats.XSP_log

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data\LiveStats.XSP_log.LDF L NULL 13623296 35184372080640

I just did the restore from the menu.

|||Can you post the restore command you're using please?|||

I am using the restore wizard. Right clicking on the blank database (I also tried restoring without creating a blank database) Selecting Restore. Then I select From Device>>>browse to the location the back up file is>>>Restore backup set...database complete and I am not changing anything under the options tab.

Melissa :-)

|||

Please! Please! Please! tell me there is a way to restore this database. It is the only copy I have of webstats for almost 100 clients for the past year. The raw files were on the same hard drive that got wiped out.

Melissa :-)

|||

What happens when you run this (directly through a client connection, not from any wizard):

restore database LiveStats.XSP from <backupdevice>

|||Server: Msg 3132, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
The media set for database 'LiveStatsXSP' has 2 family members but only 1 are provided. All members must be provided.
Server: Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally.|||

Greetings.

It looks as if there is more to the backup than the one file which you are specifying.

Is there a chance that your backup produced more than one file, and that you still have access to both?

The command RESTORE LABELONLY FROM <backup_device> will tell us more about the mackup media.

|||

Here are the results from the Restore Label Only

NULL {525AA069-12A6-4E37-92CF-737C4FD9E4E2} 2 2 {F9E38D61-0000-0000-0000-000000000000} 1 0 NULL Microsoft SQL Server 4608 2006-06-30 16:42:25.000

Unfortunately that is the only file that was zipped up and moved to the new server. :-(

|||

That error tells us that when the backup was done, it was a striped backup, so the data was written to two different files in alternating stripes similar to the way a striped disk works. That means that we have to find that other file for us to have any chance of restoring the database.

The good news is that it is highly likely to be in the same location as the first backup file that you're using to restore.

The bad news is that without that other file, we cannot restore the database. Do you have ANY other copies of the backup anywhere? Even a system backup might be helpful.

|||Wow. Allowing the user to stripe across two devices is so risky. I was hoping to use a dummy striped member but it looks like you have the GUID set for each mediaset. Thus, the restore still fails. Another suggestion , make it like RAID-5. Only allow striping across 3 or more devices.|||

I had a feeling the news was not going to be good. It sounds like I am pretty much out of luck.I can not find a back up of that data anywhere.

I guess some lessons are just more painful to learn than others. If there is anything else I can try please let me know.

Melissa

sql

No comments:

Post a Comment