Friday, March 30, 2012

HELP!...VB.NET killed SQL Server

Hi,
Yesterday I installed VB.NET on my machine. I had been runnng SQL Server
2000. After the install SQL Server will not run. SQLAgent fails with the
error "1068: The dependency service or group failed to start". When I try to
start MSSQL service I get a message it started then stopped because it may
not have anything to do.
I was planning to install SP3 of SQL Server 2000, so I tried that, but it
fails to install because (it seems) it needs SQL Server to be running.
Any ideas? Right now I desperately need SQL Server but not VB. So, I
guess my next move is to un-install VB.NET, which is going to be a royal
pain, and that may not even work because such a big install cannot be truly
uninstalled. After that I would fall back to an OS restore point.
Help, please!
Tim
> When I try to
> start MSSQL service I get a message it started then stopped because it may
> not have anything to do.
Can you post the SQL Server errorlog file? Assuming it is only a few rows, of course...
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp
http://www.solidqualitylearning.com/
"Tim" <Tim@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D3C2B8A5-17F9-448D-8EA0-19F5A4119907@.microsoft.com...
> Hi,
> Yesterday I installed VB.NET on my machine. I had been runnng SQL Server
> 2000. After the install SQL Server will not run. SQLAgent fails with the
> error "1068: The dependency service or group failed to start". When I try to
> start MSSQL service I get a message it started then stopped because it may
> not have anything to do.
> I was planning to install SP3 of SQL Server 2000, so I tried that, but it
> fails to install because (it seems) it needs SQL Server to be running.
> Any ideas? Right now I desperately need SQL Server but not VB. So, I
> guess my next move is to un-install VB.NET, which is going to be a royal
> pain, and that may not even work because such a big install cannot be truly
> uninstalled. After that I would fall back to an OS restore point.
> Help, please!
> Tim
|||Thanks! I ran the SQL Server setup program with the option "Rebuild
Registry" and now it seems fine. Thanks again!
Tim
"Tibor Karaszi" wrote:

> Can you post the SQL Server errorlog file? Assuming it is only a few rows, of course...
> --
> Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
> http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp
> http://www.solidqualitylearning.com/
>
> "Tim" <Tim@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D3C2B8A5-17F9-448D-8EA0-19F5A4119907@.microsoft.com...
>
>

No comments:

Post a Comment