Friday, March 30, 2012

Help!!!Cannot connect to remote sql server by named pipe

Hi, all,

I installed sql server 2005 express on a server with window server 2003 SP1 and tried to connect it from a remote computer with vista installed.

I have already enabled named pipe and tcp/ip protocol for instance SQLEXPRESS on the server, and started sql server browser as well. Of course, I also enabled local and remote connection using tcp/ip and named pipe by sql server surface area configuration tool.

In this senario, I can connect to server locally or remotely by tcp/ip and connect to server locally by named pipe(c>sqlcmd -S \\192.168.1.100\pipe\MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS\sql\query -U * -P *), but I can not connect to server remotely using same command line.

According to some article from MSDN, it might be caused by firewall, but I already disabled my firewall. Moreover, I used tools like makepipe.exe and readpipe.exe, they didn't work too. Why the 2 computers can't create connection using named pipe protocol.

Thanks.

Johonson Chan

By "remotely" what do you mean? Are you talking a VPN or across the Internet?

You do not want to run named pipes across the Internet for many reasons. Named pipes use TCP port 445. Across the Internet you are subject to firewall in all the routers in between the 2 computers.

Use TCP/IP.

|||

I'm having a similar issue. As far as I can tell, all the configuration is set up correctly. The remote connection is enabled, TCP/IP is enabled, firewall is turned off. I'm trying to connecto to a database on a remote server using Sharepoint desinger and always get an error message saying 'The data retrieval service encountered an error during connection to the data source'.

Anyone had a luck with using the database connection feature in the Sharepoint designer?

Thanks.

|||

I am also having a simliar issue. Running sql server 2005, trying to connect using crystal reports 8.5, get error 'unable to connect to sql server <server name>' when connecting from a machine running windows server 2003 service pack 1.

The strange this is that it connects fine when I connect using the same crystal report, version 8.5 from my PC running Windows XP service Pack 2, so it means that the sql server 2005 is configured correctly.

I can connect to the server using ODBC on the windows server 2003 machine - just not through the crystal report.

Anyone else had this issue? Or any ideas how I can solve it?

Thanks.

|||I'm having a problem too. I can connect to SQL Server 2k5 via TCP/IP on all my WinXP machines, but my WinVista machine fails. I am also not using Windows authentication because I am connecting via the Intnernet, and will not be using Windows domains.

-Simon
|||

same problem trying to connect over the internet to sql server 2005 using sql server authentication .

the client is sql server 2005 and is running on vista. it worked fine from my xp box. this problem is killing me at the moment.

tcp/ip is enabled and i've tried it with and without the firewalls. aarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh


Login failed for user 'xxxxxxxx'. (.Net SqlClient Data Provider)


For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=18456&LinkId=20476


Server Name: xxxxxxxxxxx,1433
Error Number: 18456
Severity: 14
State: 1
Line Number: 65536

No comments:

Post a Comment