Wednesday, March 28, 2012

HELP! Unable to select database engine in management studio

Hi All,

I am new to SQL Server and having trouble using SQL Server Management Studio. I am unable to select the Database Engine in management studio.

I am able to see the instance of default database engine (MSSQLServer) running in Reporting Services manager as well as in Surface area configuration manager, but it is not visible in the drop down list in Management Studio's "Select Database Engine" menu.

I had removed Sql server 2005 earlier ( I was able to select the database engine in Management Studio then). But when I installed it again, I was unable to install the Sql Server Tools (it said that my Upgrade is blocked). So, I cleaned the Windows Registry of all keys containing 'Sql'. After this I tried installing it again and successfully installed Sql Server 2005 + ALL TOOLS. But this time I am unable to select the database engine in management studio.

Thanks and Regards to ALL

You may need to rebuild the machine from scratch. Did you install any beta version of the 2.0 framework? If so a complete rebuild of the machine may be required.|||

Hi TATWORTH,

Thanks for the reply.

I may not wish to rebuild the machine as it is a triple boot system with 2000/xp/suse 10.1. If I reinstall XP, I may have to reinstall linux...

Is there any alternative?

Regards

|||Try installing SQL Server again - not as a reinstall of the default instance but as a new instance.|||

Ok.

Will reinstall as a seperate instance and tell you.

Regards

No comments:

Post a Comment